adopttalkcanada.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

3/3/2015 - SMF was upgraded today.

Author Topic: Who "owns" your CAS Homestudy  (Read 18194 times)

Windthrow

• View Profile
Who "owns" your CAS Homestudy
« on: December 05, 2008, 07:11:23 PM »

I am told that the adoptive parent does and if they decide to switch to a Private Adoption or International Adoption the CAS does not have the right to withhold said homestudy.

It seems they some CAS's may still try, but it is apparently a settled point that they do not have the right to do so.

YR

• View Profile
Re: Who "owns" your CAS Homestudy
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 08:14:05 PM »

Hmmmm....interesting.  I dug out my documents and found a one pager DH and I had to sign.  It states we agreed our SW would complete a HS for us.  We have read it and provided the necessary documentation for the HS.  We understand our SW has recommended us blah blah blah.  The final line says:  "The home study document can not be used for any other purpose without the written consent of our SW.

I think that may muddy the waters a bit.  I think we hired our SW, we paid her and as long as she agrees we can use it for another purpose.  I am not sure the same will apply if you adopted domestically and went through the Children's Aid Society.  In that case they hire the SW and pay them.   <shrug>

Windthrow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 08:46:31 PM »

I think that may muddy the waters a bit.  I think we hired our SW, we paid her and as long as she agrees we can use it for another purpose.  I am not sure the same will apply if you adopted domestically and went through the Children's Aid Society.  In that case they hire the SW and pay them.   <shrug>

CAS funding comes from the province and apparently the Ontario government has told and will tell a CAS to give up the homestudy.

WalkingOnTheMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 10:55:46 PM »

Hey WT,

Have you found anywhere that this is 'officially' written/referenced?  This might be good info to have for the future, depending upon how things go....

Thanks!

Windthrow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »

Hey WT,

Have you found anywhere that this is 'officially' written/referenced?  This might be good info to have for the future, depending upon how things go....

Thanks!

No but this information comes from the Executive Director of the Adoption Council of Ontario and I think she would be a good resource if a particular CAS tried to hold on the homestudy.