adopttalkcanada.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

3/3/2015 - SMF was upgraded today.

Author Topic: Foster to Adopt  (Read 14616 times)

lieblingk

• View Profile
Foster to Adopt
« on: October 26, 2010, 01:36:02 PM »

Does anyone have experiences to share about travelling this route to adoption. I am basically toying with this idea. I can also maintain my international adoption file open at the same time so think it may be a win win but would love the voice of experience to help me
in love with my daughter Jasmine
forever together dec 2007

shari

• _
    • View Profile
Re: Foster to Adopt
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 05:53:32 PM »

I have friends who live in Halifax...they adopted 2 kids this year through foster care.  Both kids were placed with them pretty quickly after their paperwork was filed.  The first was a 1 or 2 year old -- I know the child was taken away from the mother, and I know the father fought for rights but the courts decided to leave the boy with the APs.  Their second child was a newborn - the 7th baby relinquished by the birthmom and they knew from the start that her adoption would not be contested. 

mlschot

• _
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 07:29:02 PM »

you should talk to stillpatientlywaiting.  they started fostering and now have finalized adoption of 2 girls in ontario.  send her a pm.

lieblingk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 07:56:54 AM »

ty SHari and mlschot I will email stillpatientlywaiting

WalkingOnTheMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 10:41:37 AM »

You might want to check out the following discussion threads at Canada Adopts:
http://www.canadaadopts.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=20&t=000060
http://www.canadaadopts.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000089
http://www.canadaadopts.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=001392
(I know there are other threads, too, but these were the ones I could find quickly.)

My daughter was adopted from foster care but I didn't foster her.  There is not really a "foster to adopt" program where I live.  Sometimes foster parents do adopt the children in their care if they become legally available but they don't encourage families to use fostering as a route to adoption.  I know that in other areas that foster-to-adopt is the main way that children are placed for adoption. 

I was surprised to learn that you may qualify for EI-supported parental leave when you take on a foster-to-adopt placement.

Wishing you the best of luck!

lieblingk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 08:31:37 AM »

thanks walkingon the moon I forgot about that site  <bigthumbsup>

lieblingk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 02:54:42 PM »

wow I finally have my first meeting for my homestudy. Not a long wait at all  <banghead>

jlkej

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 06:30:12 PM »

I hope everything goes well.  <bigthumbsup> Sadly, we have long wait lists to adopt in my province which is why most eventually look to China. Hopefully your experience will be better.

lieblingk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 01:28:29 PM »

yeah still waiting to complete my homestudy. China is my first wish but as a single there is wayyyyyyy too much to hurdle over and as a single parent I am concerned about being referred a child that would require extensive medical appointments etc. My 5 yr old is not used to sharing lol