adopttalkcanada.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

3/3/2015 - SMF was upgraded today.

Author Topic: Canadians living abroad and adoption options  (Read 9317 times)

WalkingOnTheMoon

• View Profile
Canadians living abroad and adoption options
« on: February 20, 2012, 08:29:25 PM »

Anyone know anything about the process for Canadians living abroad who want to adopt internationally.  When I googled I found this article from 2006 that makes it sound like it is quite possible: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/community_partnerships/international_adoption/publications/2006/canadian_issues.shtml but when I've looked elsewhere (e.g., on Canada Adopts forum), it sounds anecdotally like it is nearly impossible.

Asking this for a friend currently living in Asia.  She wouldn't be adopting from the country where she is living (not a country involved in ICA) but hopes to adopt from a third country (not sure which one).

Windthrow

• View Profile
Re: Canadians living abroad and adoption options
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:59:12 PM »

I read info in the link to say that it is still pretty hard. The adoption would need to happen under the regulations of the country she lives in and the Canadian government would have to agree that the child could ultimately be brought back into the country.

It doesnt surprise me at all that it isnt happening

jlkej

• View Profile
Re: Canadians living abroad and adoption options
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 04:41:43 AM »

While this can be done for those in the US and England, it is my understanding that it is not possible for Canadians now even if it was at one time. Adoption is a provincial matter and must be initiated in the home province with an approved SW. Don't quote me but I think that it is pretty much impossible to do this while living outside of Canada.