adopttalkcanada.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

3/3/2015 - SMF was upgraded today.

Author Topic: Canadian Sale for 23andMe kit  (Read 115 times)

BHStuy

• View Profile
Canadian Sale for 23andMe kit
« on: May 03, 2017, 06:55:08 PM »

Hey all you up north, 23andMe.com is having a Mother's Day sale for their DNA kits. $50 off. Great time to get your child tested!!

https://store.23andme.com/en-ca/cart/

peanutbuttercup

• View Profile
Re: Canadian Sale for 23andMe kit
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 11:38:26 AM »

I've been looking into this but the problem up here is that there is no legislation yet to protect people from employers or insurance companies asking if you have had a genetics test and asking to see the results before hiring\insuring you.

The House of Commons just recently voted on a bill prohibiting discrimination based on genetic testing. It passed 220-60 and is now in it's third reading at Senate.

The current PM advised all of his party members to vote against the bill as the Justice Minister has deemed the bill to be unconstitutional.

After the bill comes out of senate, the current government is planning to punt it to the Supreme Court for an opinion on its constitutionality. (This is an unusual move for a bill that has been passed through the House and Senate.

The bill could be tied up in the Supreme Court for two years before becoming law (if it even passes the constitutionality test.)

Anyway, this is a long winded way to say be careful and do your research before doing genetic testing at this time in Canada.

kantmakm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 01:20:28 PM »

PBC - self-administered tests will *never* be used in such a way.  Insurance companies and employers who wish to make determinations based on medical testing will always look to a medically administered test - that's why insurance companies send out their own phlebotomist to collect blood for testing prior to issuing a life insurance policy, and why employers who do drug testing use an appropriate service provider to collect the sample and run the test.

peanutbuttercup

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 04:30:44 PM »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/why-genetic-self-test-kits-should-not-be-allowed-into-canada/article21124570/?arc404=true

This professor doesn't agree with you Kant.

I'd feel a lot better about using the services of 23andme if there was legislation in place here in Canada.

kms

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 04:49:13 PM »

Are they allowed in Canada to even test for genetic conditions? There was a short time the FDA stopped them from doing anything other than heritage in the States. They were worried people would react to a revelation of a disease in an extreme way or ignore a trip to the doctor.

peanutbuttercup

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 08:23:07 PM »

Are they allowed in Canada to even test for genetic conditions? There was a short time the FDA stopped them from doing anything other than heritage in the States. They were worried people would react to a revelation of a disease in an extreme way or ignore a trip to the doctor.

Yes. It comes with the 23andme analysis.

Apsara

• View Profile
    • Vers la Chine
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 01:26:38 PM »

It depends which test you pick.  There is one offering only ancestry, without medical information, it's cheaper also.

peanutbuttercup

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 04:25:43 PM »

It depends which test you pick.  There is one offering only ancestry, without medical information, it's cheaper also.

Which one is that?

I hear 23andme is the best for Asians and I didn't see an option there to not have the medical information.

Apsara

• View Profile
    • Vers la Chine
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 11:54:49 AM »

Yesterday when I went on the website you had the choice between 79$ ancestry only and 249$ ancestry and health.  I went there again a few minutes ago and I can see only the test at 249$. 

I ordered tests a few weeks ago at 79$ USD each but for ancestry only.